The tradition started in the late 1800’s with Oscar Abrahamsohn, an immigrant, who supported himself by teaching German to medical students. Later, as a hospital volunteered at HUP, he personally funded gifts and decorated the hospital’s children’s ward for Christmas and Easter. In 1901, the Christmas Fund was established with $95 Abrahamsohn raised. Over the years, others began to donate money as well to help fund the holiday fastivities for patients. To better support its fundraising efforts, the Abrahamsohn Committee became incorporated – with the official signing of the charter in 1914 – under the wing of the Board of Women Visitors.