Congratulations to the PAH FY14 Q4 CAREs grant recipient Ann Schwoebel, MSN, RNC, CRNP, a clinical nurse education specialist in the Intensive Care Nursery at PAH. The funding awarded to Schwoebel will supply educational materials for six monthly educational classes for parents-to-be and new parents, as well as on-going Parent-to-Parent Mentoring program courses. ICN staff work in collaboration with other PAH and CHOP departments and parent volunteers of former ICN patients to host programs for our neonatal patients and their families which teach parents how to help their babies adapt to life outside the womb. While all new parents have this responsibility, the need is intensified with a premature or sick newborn.
Each quarter, the CAREs Foundation awards grants of up to $2,000 per project to community and hospital-based programs on behalf of employees or Perelman School of Medicine students who volunteer their time to support those programs. For more information and to apply, please visit Pennmedicine.org/community. Deadline for applications for the next round of grants is September 1.
Congratulations to all the winners of a Penn Medicine CAREs grant for the fourth quarter of FY14!
- Sharisse Ajiabade and Wanda Gbemudu, Nursing - HCHS: Congestive Heart Failure Management
- Kelly Convery, Bernice Jones and Kathleen Mercado, ICN – HUP: Childbirth and Newborn Care Classes at the Helen O. Dickens Center
- Kathryn Rose Finley, Family Medicine – PPMC: Reach Out and Read
- Luis Ramos Rivera, Environmental Services – HUP: Wisdom House: Housing for Homeless Single Veteran Women
- Mel Kearney, Occupational Medicine – CCA: Walnut Street School Playground for Safer Kids
- Janet McMaster, Trauma - HUP: WEPAC (West Philadelphia Alliance for Children)
- Chiamuaka Onwuzurike, PCPC Refugee Clinic – PSOM: Refugee Women’s Clinic Family Planning and Contraception Project
- Anup Sharma, Psychiatry – HUP/CPUP: Stress Management Workshops for Philadelphia Prisoners and Staff
- Karen Wagner, Patient and Family Services – UPHS: Mill Creek Farm
- Michael Williams, Cardiology – PPMC: Better Nutrition for the Elderly