On May 12, employees, staff, and volunteers gathered in the Elm Garden Café for cake in celebration of PAH’s 263rd year in continuous operation. Sunday, May 11, 1751, was the actual “birthday” of the hospital – which just happened to also be Mother’s Day this year – a fitting coincidence for our nation’s first hospital.
Since its official opening in 1751, PAH has continued to be an innovator in patient care, treatment techniques, and medical research – and there was much to celebrate! In the year since its last birthday:
- Penn Medicine Washington Square, the state-of-the-art, outpatient services facility, opened at 8th and Walnut Streets.
- The hospital’s first all private room patient units opened, including the new Well Mother and Baby Unit, making PAH the first hospital in the City of Philadelphia to offer all private maternity suites.
- The Penn’s Abramson Cancer Center Pennsylvania Hospital launched.
- The new ACC PAH Infusion Department opened.
- The divisions of Hematology-Oncology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, and the Endoscopy Center have all transitioned into the Penn Medicine practice plan and hospital-based centers.
Suzanne Y. Brown, MS, RPh, director of Pharmacy, shown here on the right serving cake to PAH employees, shares the same birthday as PAH – May 11.