Prescription drugs – especially controlled substances – are kept under lock and key at HUP. We need to be just as careful with prescription pads and paper. To decrease the use of fraudulent prescriptions, UPHS has put in place several safety measures, including:
* Using only UPHS tamper-resistant paper/pads.
* Keeping pads and paper in a locked area.
* E-prescribing when possible.
* Shredding prescription pads of prior providers.
* Locking printer trays.
* Reporting prescription diversion.
To view the entire Medication Safety Part II Huddle – and other Accreditation/Regulatory theme Huddles – click here.